- 3/4 cup green or brown lentils rinsed
- 1 medium size eggplant cut into bite-size cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves crushed Pinch of coriander (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup pomegranate juice (substitute:
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses)
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder Salt Black pepper Pinch of parsley for garnish Grains of pomegranate for garnish Pinch of red chili pepper optional
- In a medium-size pot, add rinsed lentils and stir for a minute.
- Add 2 to 3 cups of water, cover the pot and leave it over low heat for about 15 minutes until half-cooked. Add eggplant cubes, salt, black pepper, and cumin.
- Stir and leave for another 10 to 15 minutes until lentils and eggplants are tender and totally cooked.
- Meanwhile, bring olive oil to medium heat in a different frying pan.
- Add garlic, coriander, and flour and keep frequent stirring until garlic become golden brown.
- Add the garlic mix to the lentil and eggplant pot, and then the pomegranate juice (or molasses). Stir the pot for 3 to 5 minutes so all ingredients are cooked together. Pour the mixture in middle-sized deep plates.
- Add seasoning of olive oil, red chili pepper, and garnish with parsley and grains of pomegranate.
- Serve hot or cold with pita or any bread as per your preference.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!