Have you ever heard the word Maklouba anywhere here or there? Well, Middle Eastern Maklouba is known for being one of the most popular and most sumptuous Middle Eastern recipes that you can ever try.
Middle Eastern Maklouba
Maklouba is indeed a savory type of rice cake that is basically made of eggplant, chicken and cauliflower and that is served in special occasions and banquets, especially during the holy month of Ramadan.
- 2 cups of washed basmati rice
- 2 pieces Peeled and sliced eggplants into thick slice
- 1 head Washed and chopped into small pieces
- 2 pieces Large, cut into rings tomatoes
- 3 pounds of whole chicken, cut into eight pieces
- 1 piece of medium size, cut into about 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of seven spices
- 1 teaspoon of chicken spices
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 5 pieces cardamom
- 2 to 3 pieces bay leaves
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- Start by heating the oil into a large saucepan over a medium high heat
- Add in the chicken, and stir until its color starts changing into golden
- Add in the onions, the spices, the cardamom, the bay leaves, the salt and the black pepper, and stir very well.
- Add in the boiling water until it completely covers the chicken; then let boil with the chicken and cover with the lid
- Cover your pot and let simmer for about 45 minutes or until the chicken becomes tender
- Sauté cauliflower and the eggplant into generous quantity of oil until it becomes golden; then place the rice, the salt, the black pepper, the cinnamon and the turmeric into a large bowl and stir very well
- Spread the tomato rings into a large saucepan; then spread the cauliflower then the eggplant; then the cuts of the chicken; then the rice
- Drain the chicken broth from the onion and the bay leaves; then pour it over the basmati rice and leave the sauce simmer until it starts boiling; then cover the saucepan and leave it over a low heat for about 50 to 60 minutes
- Flip the maqlouba into a serving dish, and serve with salads of your choice
- You can also add a layer of French Fries after the layer of tomatoes
Nutrition Information Calories: 394.2, Fat: 15.3g, Carbohydrates: 33.3g, Protein: 31.1g, Dietary Fiber: 6.3g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!