Delicious food has a magic that penetrates the walls of isolation and a pride that makes it a social bond that is difficult to overcome. In this recipe, I will highlight the one of the most prominent Iraqi dishes that penetrated the walls of sectarianism and regionalism to reach the hearts and tables of all Iraqis; masgouf fish. Indeed, in Mesopotamia, Masgouf is one of the most prominent and famous things that are cooked. And the masgouf is a historical food consisting of fish from one of the rivers of Iraq, which is opened and cleaned from the side of the back and then attached to, sticks in front of the coal, hence the origin of the name Masgouf, which means the crucified and here is intended by the fish. This dish is served with Iraqi bread and the dish is accompanied by Iraqi tea.
If you want to know the secret of the delicious flavor of this Iraqi Masgouf recipe, then try with us this easy method of the Masgouf and learn its secrets.
- A carp or brown or Qattan fish of about 5 pounds
- A teaspoon of all spice.
- A teaspoon of cumin
- Half a spoon of black pepper.
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 5 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- After obtaining the fresh fish, you need to clean it and prepare it
- Open the belly of the fish and clean it well from the inside.
- Then peel the scales using the knife and place it horizontally perpendicular to the fish and then move it in the opposite direction of the scales.
- Repeat this process with the entire amount, then wash the fish with plain water.
- Rub the fish with sea salt very well, and leave it for five minutes with salt after washing it with water, or wash it from the salt directly.
- After cleaning the fish and salting it very well, slit the fish from the belly side from the bottom of the tail to the end of the head so that it becomes flat, and we go to prepare the seasoning.
- Season the masgouf fish as the Iraqi Masgouf seasoning is considered one of the quick and easy seasonings, all of which are available in every home.
- Using a small bowl, mix the oil with lemon juice, add salt, pepper, cumin and spices, stir the ingredients very well.
- Some may want to add ground coriander or crushed garlic, and you can also add hot paprika if desired.
- It is not only the spices that make the fish an Iraqi masgouf, but the method of grilling and the quality of the wood used in grilling the fish.
- To grill the masgouf fish in the oven, brush the tray with oil. A mixture of corn oil and olive oil can be used.
- Then we put the fish after marinating it and open it very well (it should be flat) and wrap the tray with tin foil.
- In a preheated oven at 220 ° C/ 450°F the fish will need 35 to 45 minutes, then we remove the tin and leave it to brown.
- Masgouf fish will lose through this process its most important characteristic (the taste of charcoal), but we can compensate for this taste as much as possible by placing a small glass cup in the middle of the tray and filling it with oil to the middle, then we ignite the pomegranate or lemon charcoal and put the charcoal inside Cover the tray with oil immediately, the smoke will absorb the smoke, giving it a delicious flavor that makes it close to the original masgouf flavor.
- You can put carrots and potatoes with fish in the tray as an addition. You can also prepare different sauces and spread them over the masgouf fish in the oven, but for masgouf fish on wood, it does not need sauces placed directly on it, but some sauces are served alongside
- Serve and enjoy your dish!
Leave A Comment