Chebakia maghribiya or chbkia is a delicious Moroccan pastry that is served on the tables of Ramadan, religious festivals such as Aid or weddings in the different Moroccan countries.
A typical Maghreb pastry, this recipe is one of the best and easiest to make pastry fried and then bathed in homemade honey recipes.
- 1 lb of flour
- 1 cup of toasted and ground sesame seeds
- 1 cup of grilled and ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of neutral oil
- 1 cup of melted butter
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon of orange blossom water
- 1 teaspoon of powdered anise
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- A few saffron pistils or food coloring saffron yellow
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of gum Arabic
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baker's yeast
- Frying bath
- Honey to coat the chebakia pastry
- 1/2 cup of golden sesame seeds for garnishing
- Prepare the Chebakia dough:
- In a large salad bowl, pour the flour, ground almonds, ground sesame seeds, baker's yeast, baking powder
- Add the cinnamon, salt, anise powder, saffron powder and mix very well.
- Make a well, pour in the vinegar, olive oil, orange blossom water, egg yolk and melted butter.
- Pick up the dough, gradually adding orange blossom water, and knead until a homogeneous and smooth dough is obtained.
- Divide your dough into 4 medium-sized dough pieces.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and let stand a little.
- Shape the rosette of the chebakia
- On a floured work surface, roll out a first ball to a thickness of about 3 mm.
- With the chebakia cookie cutter or pastry wheel, cut out squares 5 cm apart, in which you will make 4 incisions every 1 cm approximately
- Take a square and with the index finger of the right hand, collect the odd strips starting from the right to the left, we end up with the strips 1, 3 and 5 which are on the front of the finger.
- Join by pinching the two opposite ends up and down to bring them to the center to form a flower.
- Dip the chebakia in the hot frying oil and brown them on both sides.
- Remove them and immediately dip them in warmed honey flavored with orange blossom water.
- Let drain and sprinkle with the white or golden sesame seeds.
- Serve and enjoy your dessert!
Sugar: 23gCalories: 455kcalSaturated Fat: 6gFat: 12gProtein: 22gCarbohydrates: 15g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!