Shish barak is one of the famous dishes in the Levant, especially in Syria, Lebanon, and Jordan, and its name varies from one country to another. In Jordan, for example, it is called the ears of the cat, and it is believed that Shish Barak is of Turkish origin and its name means the closed dough, which is small pieces of dough stuffed with meat, garlic, onions, coriander, and dipped in milk. Cooked and if you want to prepare a dish of shish barak here is the way. Shish barak or shubarak or wadn al-shaib or pasha and asaker, shish barak is a dish that is popular and widely known in Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria (the Levant countries), and is also found in northern Saudi Arabia and the Hijaz. .
Whatever its origins or names differ, the method of preparing it is similar, as its recipe consists of a dough that contains minced meat inside, and it is cut circularly and then folded like qatayef, and in the end, the two ends of the dough are closed to become like a hat. There are stories and tales differed about the origin of this delicious recipe. The people of the Levant say that it is Syrian food, especially in the city of Hama.
The origins of the shish barak go back about 100 years, and it was transmitted by the rest of the Levant countries, and it was cooked on occasions and family meetings, and the Turkish or Ottoman cuisine transferred the food from the people of Syria.
- For the dough:
- 2 and a half cups of flour
- Half a teaspoon of salt.
- water for kneading
- For the Milk sauce:
- 2 lbs of yogurt
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water
- an egg
- Teaspoon of salt
- For the filling:
- 1 Pound of finely minced lean meat.
- 2 onions finely chopped.
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- 1 Teaspoon of salt
- A bunch of finely chopped coriander.
- Half spoon of black pepper
- Start by preparing the dough:
- Put the flour in a bowl, add the salt and stir well until the salt mixes with the dough.
- Add the water to the flour and start the kneading process until we get a homogeneous and smooth dough.
- To prepare the filling:
- Put the meat in a bowl and add the onion and coriander.
- Add the oil, salt and black pepper and mix well.
- Prepare the milk
- Put the yogurt in a bowl and mix it well with a cake mixer
- Add the water and the egg to the milk and mix well.
- Add salt and cornstarch and stir well.
- Put the milk on the fire and stir continuously until it boils.
- Prepare the shish barak pieces:
- Take a piece of dough and roll it out with a rolling pin.
- Cut the dough with a cup of coffee to get flat circles of dough.
- Start by placing a teaspoon of the filling in each piece of dough.
- Fold the stuffed dough pieces to become a semi-circle, then fold them another fold to become a ball.
- Put the shish barak pieces in a tray and put them in the oven and bake them until they acquire a golden color for about 40 minutes
- Finally, take out the shish barak pieces from the oven and put them in the cooked milk.
- Pour the shish barak into the serving dish, sauté the cilantro and garlic with a little butter and pour it on the plate with some nuts.
- Serve and enjoy your shish barak!