Preparing Yemeni chicken Madghout needs care, patience, and a bunch of affordable ingredients. It is a popular dish in the Gulf countries, especially in Saudi Arabia and Yemen. It consists mainly of rice, meat or chicken. Furthermore, it is considered one of the main dishes. When preparing it, it is required to use a pressure cooker, so the name of this dish was taken from it. In this recipe, we will talk about the steps to be followed to prepare the Madghout meat. Sumac is used and particularly appreciated in the Levant; its slightly lemony taste perfectly enhances meat dishes. All the ingredients are worked by hand until everything is homogeneous. It must then rest for 6 hours in the refrigerator and must be worked once or twice during this rest time. Not only this recipe is considered as a great dish to be served on Ramadan and on special occasions, but it is also packed with nutrients and vitamins, as well as protein.
Yemeni Chicken Madghout
- 1 Whole chicken chopped
- 3 cups of basmati rice
- 4 and 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of chopped tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce.
- 1 cup of shredded carrots.
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
- 1 chicken broth cube
- 1 lime
- 3 cardamom pods.
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of curry
- 1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 tablespoons of margarine
- Put the ghee, finely chopped onions, and garlic in a pressure cooker and continue stirring until the onions are wilted and golden
- Add the chicken pieces after washing them and sauté them with ghee, onions, and garlic
- Add in the spices; then add the peeled and sliced tomatoes
- Pour in the tomato sauce and the shredded carrots over the chicken
- Close the pressure cooker without any liquid until the chicken becomes tender
- Add in the rice after it has been soaked, washed, and very well-drained over the chicken after it is cooked,
- Stir very well; then add in the chicken broth, the chicken broth cube, and the ground spices over the rice
- Sauté with the ingredients, then close the pressure cooker until the rice becomes soft.
- Pour the rice into a serving dish and garnish it with the roasted nuts and the chopped parsley.
Leave A Comment