Tunisian Mutabbaq is stuffed bread that resembles the pizza calzone and is characterised by its delicious spicy taste.
Mutabbaq is a traditional Tunisian recipe that is made, espeically in winter, it is originally from the south of Tunisia.
- 1 lb of fine semolina
- 1 lb of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound of dried or fresh meat
- 2 chopped onions
- 1/2 bunch of parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1/2 cup of ghee
- 1/2 tablespoon of red pepper
- 300 millilitres of olive oil
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 dash of black pepper
- Preparation of the dough: Mix the fine semolina in a bowl, add 15 g of salt and olive oil, and stir the ingredients
- Add a little warm water and knead it until it holds together and form it into a ball, then let it rest for 15 minutes
- Re-knead the dough by adding a little warm water, then cover and let it rest again for at least two hours.
- Prepare the sauce: Pour the ghee into a cooking pot and put it on a low heat until it becomes liquid, then add the chopped onions and dried meat and stir the ingredients
- Add the tomato paste and let it cook for 5 minutes, while stirring continuously
- Add the red pepper, black pepper, salt, harissa and parsley and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into four balls and set it aside.
- Flatten the dough piece with a rolling pin on a flat place in a layer not exceeding 20 cm
- Put a tablespoon of the sauce in the middle of the dough and press on both sides to close it and put it on the tagine and cook it while flipping from time to time on both sides
- Repeat the ball with the rest of the dough piece
Sugar: 1gFiber: 3gCalories: 199kcalFat: 5gProtein: 6gCarbohydrates: 12g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!