I present to you a very popular, typically Algerian dish. A dish that originated in the ancient past of the Algerian country.
Mtewem with white salsa
Mtewem is an Algerian dish that celebrates the use of meat and garlic. This recipe is characterized by gives it its original taste and uniqeness compared to other Algerian dishes.
- 1 lb of lamb leg or shoulder
- 1 Cup of chickpeas soaked the day before
- 1 Cup of whole blanched almonds optional
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tbsp of ghee
- For the minced meatballs:
- 1 lb of minced meat lamb or beef
- 1 tbsp of breadcrumbs or flour you can do without
- 1 Pinch of salt
- 1 Pinch of
- 1 Pinch of Cumin
- Put the garlic in a mortar and crush it well until you obtain a garlic paste
- In a casserole dish or large pot, put the pieces of meat, chopped onion, ghee (or oil by default)
- Sauté the salt, the pepper and add a pinch of cumin
- Cover with water; then add the chickpeas and the mashed garlic (reserve a little for the minced meat)
- In the meantime, prepare your minced meatballs
- In a large bowl; put the meat, breadcrumbs or flour, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin
- Mix your ingredients very well with your hand
- Form balls by placing an almond in each of them
- Cook the meatballs for about 7 to 8 minutes in a small quantity of oil in a skillet
- Drain the meatballs on clean paper towels; then arrange the minced meatballs in the sauce and cook
- Fry the rest of the almonds in a little oil or toast them in the oven for serving
- Serve the meat surrounded by meatballs and chickpeas
- Drizzle with the sauce and sprinkle with grilled or fried almonds
- Enjoy your dish!
Calories: 511kcalFat: 23gProtein: 63gCarbohydrates: 6g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!