If you are thinking of a dessert recipe from the Turkish kitchen, this Irmik Helvasi (semolina helva) is the one you are looking for.
Irmik helvasi (Semolina Helva)
You can make this recipe simply from pine nuts, semolina flour, butter and syrup. And making this recipe is very simple.
- 3 and 1/2 cups of semolina
- 1 and 3/4 cups of unsalted butter
- 2 and1/4 cups of sugar
- 3 and 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/3 cup of pine nuts
- Cinnamon for garnishing
- In a medium saucepan, combine all together the milk with the sugar; then heat the milk until it starts scalding.
- Gently stir until the sugar starts dissolving; then remove the pan from the heat.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over a medium high heat; then add in the pine nuts together with the dry semolina.
- With the help of a wooden spoon, gently turn the semolina over and over until it's all coated with the butter.
- Continue to turn over; then stir the mixture constantly until it becomes golden brown and the pine nuts start to darken.
- Make sure to keep from burning, especially around the edges of your pan; then turn off the heat.
- Pour the hot mixture of the milk into the semolina; then let bubble up and let settle.
- Stir very well to make sure the butter and the pine nuts are very well distributed; then cover the saucepan, leaving the lid on top
- Let your helva rest until it becomes cool enough to handle and when you are ready to serve; you can break the mixture with a wooden spoon
- Sprinkle some quantity of cinnamon on top; then serve and enjoy with a scoop of ice cream!
Calories: 272kcalCarbohydrates: 42gProtein: 2.1gFat: 11.2gSaturated Fat: 6.23gSodium: 1.1mgPotassium: 31.7mgFiber: 0.7gSugar: 30g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave A Comment