From the Nabulsi kitchen, this Nigella Seeds Pie (Qizha) method is very simple and doesn’t need more than semolina and flour, and the QIzha cake is made of Nigella, which gives the recipe a black colour, and it is one of the delicious and delicious recipes. The two cities of Nablus, in Palestine, and Sidon, in Lebanon, are famous for making the “Qizha” candy, which consists of a basic substance, “Nigella seed”. The latter is used in salty foods and sweets, and is characterized by its health benefits, as “Nigella seeds” helps treat patients with diabetes, infertility, relieve headaches, and treat indigestion and bloating.
And because this dessert is made of Nigella sativa, it contains phosphates, iron, phosphorous, carbohydrates, antibiotics that destroy all kinds of germs, and the anti-cancer substance “carotene”.
Qizha sweets were known in Lebanon and Palestine, and what confirms their non-proliferation in other countries is the surprise of tourists for its color and taste. Although it is sweet in taste and similar in shape to “Al-Namoura” or “Basbousa”, its black color raises question marks and makes some think that it is salty and sweet at the same time, or even hesitate to taste it, and some of them are curious to know its taste and contents.
The color is also due to the black cumin seed. Qizha is one of the traditional folk sweets that people flock to buy, especially in the month of Ramadan. Although the sweets factories that manufacture the Qizha are now counted on the fingers of the hand, there are some families who still adhere to this traditional sweet and the housewives prepare them constantly.
Nigella Seeds Pie (Qizha)
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 ½ cups fine semolina
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup of Nigella sativa liquid
- 1 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- To prepare the syrup:
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- pinch of lemon salt
- Put in a large bowl the semolina, the flour, sugar, yeast and olive oil and stir very well.
- Add the Nigella sativa liquid and half a cup of water and knead the ingredients well
- Add the rest of the water and salt and knead the ingredients until we get a cohesive dough.
- Grease the oven tray with tahini, spread the nigella dough, cut it and decorate it with nuts to taste.
- Leave the dough for about an hour and then put it in the oven and bake at 180 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Put the water and sugar in a pot and stir over a high heat until the sugar dissolves and boils a little, then add a pinch of lemon salt, stir and then turn off the heat.
- Take out the nigella dessert from the oven and sprinkle it with syrup, so that it is ready to be served.
- Serve and enjoy your Qizha!