Stuffed zucchini is eaten in all Syrian homes without exception, especially the Levant (Bilad Al-Sham). Stuffed zucchini is a very ancient dish with an important history, especially since it belongs to the Mahashi family, one of the highly regarded mezze cuisines in the kitchens of most of Asia and the northern coasts of the Mediterranean. The Al-Mahashi family is called Dolma, which is the old name from the Roman era and maybe older. Dolma traditions were invented by the people of Central Asia as a party dish. It is possible to eat it while standing without pouring it onto a plate so that the rice and meat are carried inside the vegetables instead of the other way around. It became food for Nowruz celebrations. And the basis of the dolma stuffed peppers. Dolma is the technical equivalent of kebab in Syrian cuisine, but the Syrians used the same meat with bulgur to make the filling bowl. With the Seljuks in the tenth century, the dolma traditions reached the palaces of the princes in the Levant and Iran and became on the coasts of the Mediterranean. Also in Iraq and during the rule of the Seljuks, the dolma family was added to the dolma family, and the tomatoes were also added to the filling, and the tomatoes were also stuffed. The Ottoman Empire, and after the annexation of the Sultanate of Rum in the 14th century, adopted a lot of Rumi cuisine and became Ottoman, especially since the Othman family was mainly the princes of Rum, and with the Ottoman Empire, the dolma spread in the Balkans. Today, the dolma family includes several vegetables and marine animals that accept fillings: peppers, tomatoes, pumpkin, cauliflower, cabbage, pumpkin, zucchini, squid, mussels, cabbage, black cabbage, turnip, potatoes, and vine leaves. It is considered one of the benefits because it can be eaten cold or hot.
If you are a Middle Eastern, Koussa (Koosa) Mahshi; stuffed zucchini must be an Authentic dish you are eating regularly.
Koussa Mahshi; Stuffed Zucchini
- 3/4 cup Short-grain Egyptian rice
- 2 Pounds of small zucchini
- 1 teaspoon of chopped onion
- 1/2 Pound of ground beef chopped
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- For the tomato sauce:
- 1 Tablespoon of tomato paste
- 3 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- Wash the rice and soak for 15 minutes.
- Empty the zucchini.
- In a plate, put the rice, onions, meat, salt, pepper, spices, and turmeric, mix very well
- Stuff the zucchini with a mixture of rice and meat.
- In a large saucepan, put the tomato paste, tomatoes, salt, and pepper, let it boil
- Add in the stuffed zucchini and let simmer for about 40 minutes or until the zucchini are soft
- In a small frying pan, heat the oil, add the garlic, and stir until it becomes golden, add the mint.
- Add the garlic to the zucchini and sauté for a few minutes making sure to flip once
- Put the zucchini in a serving dish; then serve hot and enjoy your dish!
Leave A Comment