Maamoul cookies are considered as one of the most popular middle eastern types of shortbread pastries that is made with few affordable ingredients and the taste is delicious beyond imagination. These pastries are filled with dates or can also be filled with nuts. They are at the same time traditional and make a great Ramadan dessert.
Dates Maamoul sticks
- 3 Cups of all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon of soft instant yeast
- 1 Teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup of corn oil
- 3/4 Cup of warm water
- 1 Pound of dates paste
- 1 Cup of ghee or butter
- 1 Teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 Large egg
- 1/4 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 Cup of toasted sesame
For the dough:
- Put half of the quantity of the flour, yeast, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, fix the dough hook into place, and process on a slow speed for several seconds.
- Add the oil and the water; then work on a medium speed until the dough forms and separates from the edges of the bowl.
- Add the remaining quantity of the flour gradually until the dough becomes smooth and chewy
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes
- Put the dough in a greased bowl. Grease its surface with a little oil. Cover the plate with a piece of nylon.
- Put the dough in a warm place until it doubles in size.
For the filling:
- Meanwhile, put the dates, butter and cinnamon in a deep dish and knead to form a soft dough. Shape the into thin fingers
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle shape according to your preferred size.
- On the edge of the rectangle, put a finger of the dates paste; then roll the dough on the finger of dates twice only
- Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough so you have a thin finger of the dough and the dates. Cut the dough into medium-sized fingers.
- Top layer: In a small plate, put the eggs and vanilla, mix with a small fork.
- Using a small brush, grease the date sticks with a little bit of the onion and vanilla mixture. Distribute sesame and almonds on top
- Place the date fingers in short rim trays and place them in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to a temperature of 180°F Install the middle rack
- Bake the date pastry for 10-12 minutes, until golden
- Serve and enjoy your pastry for Ramadan!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave A Comment