Shakshuka is one of the well-known Levant foods that originated and was known in occupied Palestine since ancient times. And it spread to become one of the main dishes known in the Arab world. Where it is famous in Tunisia, Algeria and North Africa.
Shakshuka is one of the favorite foods and loved by many people because it is easy and quick to prepare. It is served in many places like Egypt as a main meal for lunch or breakfast. And because the main ingredient of this dish is eggs, and sometimes meat in some recipes, it is rich in protein, which the body needs to provide it with enough energy for its day.
- 180 ml olive oil
- 8 eggs
- 6 chopped tomatoes,
- 2 sliced onions
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 red and 2 yellow peppers – cut into
- 2 cm strips
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tsp muscovado sugar
- 2 tsp chopped parsley leaves
- 4 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves
- 2 sprigs of thyme leaves stripped of and chopped
- 1/2 tsp of saffron threads
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper – to taste
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 250 ml water
- Roast the cumin seeds on medium high heat for two minutes in a dry pan Then add oil and onions and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the peppers, herbs and sugar and cook for 5-10 minutes. Then toss in tomatoes, cayenne, saffron, and salt and pepper.
- Turn down the heat and let it cook for 15 minutes. Keep on adding the water while you are cooking for a nice consistency.
- Remove the bay leaves from the pan.
- Take four pans, divide the sauce equally into these pans and place them on medium heat.
- Now time for the eggs! Create two circles in the middle of the sauce in each pan, carefully break the eggs in those circles, sprinkle with salt and cover each pan with a lid. Cook on a gentle heat for 10 minutes.
- When it’s ready, garnish with coriander and enjoy with some warm bread..
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!